Monday, June 30, 2008

Shooting RAW

(Please click on the image to see the larger version)

Michael Tapes says we all shoot RAW. If you feel like quibbling, check out this very short video at his site. I have already admitted that I drank the Kool-Aid a long time ago and am completely committed. I would never go back to shooting jpeg, even though I understand the reluctance to add to the processing workload and the suspicion that it’s a waste of time and pixels (I was there for a little while myself). I found the video interesting. Again, the video is only a few minutes long. If you have strong feelings one way or the other, it's not likely to change your mind, but check it out.

4 comments:

  1. It certainly was an interesting and informative video; however, I'm still not sold on the Kool-Aid. I've gotten to exactly where I want/need to be shooting JPG. The times that I have switched to raw, well, there was no difference, so ... :-) I'm a very careful shooter and never play on the edges. Anyway, it doesn't bother me either way. You say tomato, I say tahmahtoe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. Certainly not something that would change anyone's mind one way or another, but I did find the description of what happens interesting. I'm afraid that while my understanding had been relatively clear, this short explanation cleared up a few foggy areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly don't understand the reluctance to shoot RAW. Personally, I save both RAW and JPEG when I shoot, simply because the camera is capable of saving both. But if it only did one or the other, then RAW is a non-brainer. I don't care how "careful" you are, there are occasions when you need the capabilities of a RAW converter (color temperature, etc.).

    Buying a high end camera that will save RAW images and then not using that capability is like buying an expensive LCD TV and hooking it up to an analog antenna. What's the point? And RAW conversion is very, very quick once you know what you're doing. I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul M, it's great to hear from you! Welcome back to the blogger world. I have been checking on you frequently and hoping you weren't so busy with yet another move that I would lose touch with you.

    I love the elk shot on your site and the commentary.

    Well, I know I am hooked on saving the RAW file. It has saved my neck too many times.

    ReplyDelete

You can leave your comments here. Because all comments are held pending review, yours will not immediately appear on the site. I eagerly read all of them and sincerely appreciate your taking the time to record your impressions and views. Thanks for visiting.
Anita