Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The 7D and high ISO

For those who might be curious, I have posted a sample photo from my 7D at my photography blog. This one is pretty much right out of ACR. I made minor adjustments to the exposure, tone curve, and clarity. Next, I applied a minimum of noise reduction and cropped out a couple of distractions. In Photoshop all I did was reduce the file before saving to jpg. The image was shot with the 24-105mm f/4L IS at 6400 ISO, f/5.6 and 1/125 sec., without flash.

Perhaps I am easy to please; but, when it comes to higher ISO thus higher shutter speed, I am happy with this upgrade. While I don't expect to use ISO 6400 on a regular basis any more than I expect to photograph action shots inside our great room I will no longer flinch at 1250 or 1600 when shooting in low light. Since I will be shooting action using the 70-200mm f/4L, access to the corresponding higher shutter speeds is likely to give me more keepers. When photographing horses, I have learned that anything less than 1/1000 shutter speed means you had better be great at panning and I am not. That skill still eludes me. Whew! Another goal for 2013. This is getting out of hand.

1 comment:

  1. I've had my share of blurry shots trying to handhold a camera and 70-300 mm at 1/30th of a second. I'll take a high ISO any day. My D80 topped out at about ISO 800 without objectionable noise, but that's not good enough at concerts. I'm now using the auto ISO function on the D600 most of the time and it works very well. If you have this function, try enabling it to see how you like it. It could help out when you need it the most.
    BTW: for some reason I can't access your other site. I get a screen that says "permission denied".

    ReplyDelete

You can leave your comments here. Because all comments are held pending review, yours will not immediately appear on the site. I eagerly read all of them and sincerely appreciate your taking the time to record your impressions and views. Thanks for visiting.
Anita