Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Blurb Blues


(Click on the thumbnail to view larger image)

Between the nasty complications that have arisen in my life, this project I have taken on, and the time it is taking to recover from SoFoBoMo, I am not getting out and shooting much and not finding much to say that seems worth sharing. I'm still keeping up with my favorite bloggers and catching up on some additional reading.

I am looking forward to beginning a project that is more about shooting and less about this business of preparing files for Blurb. Gordon McGregor left a comment on Paul Butzi's site that spooked me a bit. He mentioned having "over-corrected" some photos for his book. Now, I am second-guessing myself on my understanding of what it takes to prepare a file with that profile.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a newbie when it comes to print output and a heavy handed newbie at that. I don't have a particularly good frame of reference to take a soft proof on a screen and interpret how it will look printed.

    I was also lazy/ fed up of the whole SoFoBoMo thing so batched the images and only looked at them fairly superficially.

    Even then, they still look quite good, but I think I'm going to try again with the original non-soft proofed images to compare.

    Mostly though, it was my fault, so don't be too worried!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gordon, thanks a million for the encouragement. I have experimented with meticulously correcting photos to eliminate all those rude gray splotches that indicate out-of-gamut with that profile, and it is a royal pain—not to mention time consuming. Furthermore, sometimes after completing the work, the photo looks flat to me.

    I know I got some unpleasant surprises with that Shutterfly book and would rather avoid a repeat experience. Your report is certainly positive. Also, I notice that Paul didn't go through that drudgery and says he is basically okay with colors. Perhaps I will just take the plunge.

    It makes sense that this is the toughest part of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

You can leave your comments here. Because all comments are held pending review, yours will not immediately appear on the site. I eagerly read all of them and sincerely appreciate your taking the time to record your impressions and views. Thanks for visiting.
Anita